Tuesday, August 4, 2009

San Pedro.

Did you know that the desert up here is the driest in the world?
Last weekend we went to a very small town called San Pedro de Atacama. We drove for 4 hours and never saw a drop of water or any plants except some very dry, small bushes and some cactus plants.

There are mountains all around, with the very high Andes between Bolivia and Chile and Argentina. There is not much snow up there at the moment.

The town we went to is a very old town. The houses are all adobe. The bricks are made out of mud mixed with straw and plastered together. Because it hardly ever rains the roofs of the houses are made out of grass like pampas, this is more to keep the sun out.
The streets are very narrow and there are dogs, that everyone seems to feed, everywhere in the town.
It is so beautiful!
On Sunday we got up at 4 in the morning and went to see the Tatio Geysers. It was so cold. The temperature was -15. We were at the about the same height as Mount Cook 12,000 ft above sea level. Do you know what a geyser is and how it is formed?
On the way back after having a swim in the very hot pools, a volcano was erupting in the distance. There was quite a lot of smoke and steam coming out.

1 comment:

Jack Dawson's mum said...

Hi Mrs C. Sounds like you're having alot of fun. I have been doing lots of stuff since you have been gone, like camping, rugby, and working hard with my school work. I got Most Improved Player for my rugby team for the year. So did my brother for his team. I have my birthday party on Saturday. My birthday is on Monday, and I will be turning six. Miss you, from Sam Dawson.