Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mrs C in Chile with Kerri Kiwi

Well hello everyone.
I hope the holidays have been super.
Have you found Chile on the world map yet? Santiago is the biggest city in the country. There are 6 million people living there.It is the capital just like Wellington is the capital of New Zealand. Everyone here speaks Spanish and just a few people speak English. Whenever I speak in Spanish people look at me and wonder what langugae I am speaking??? I will have to do lots and lots of practice every day just like we are practising our basic facts in maths. I think you are better at basic facts than I am at Spanish. Has anyone achieved their challenge of basic facts to 10 yet? Cannot wait to hear who has.
Today I have been to Valparaiso. It is a port city on the coast. It is where all the ships from the Chilean navy are. There is a wondeful museum there all about the way the Chileans battled to take the country from the Spanish many years ago. Some of the cannons they used in the battles had cannon balls the size of a soccer ball, some of them had spikes attached to them.
The hills behind the city are very steep. To get to the top you have to walk up zillions of steps, or you can take the funicular. These are very like the cable car in Wellington, but much smaller, much steeper and much, much older and very rickety. Kerri Kiwi was very scared but of course I was not.
Perhaps you can google Valparaiso with Mrs McC and see some of things that I have told you about. Let me know what you think.
Yesterday also I saw some wonderful sand art. The men were drawing mermaids, unicorns, octopuses, fairies and even Spongebob and the Simpsons. I will post some photos when I can download them as I do not have my computer with me.
Tomorrow I will go to Antofagasta. That is in the north, in the desert.
Mrs McClure, you will have to go to my school email to publish any comments that are written for the blog. Mrs Barton will know the address,
Write to me with all your holiday news,
Lots of love, Mrs C,

3 comments:

Alison said...

Hi, Mrs Cameron from Room One. Molly says I hope you are having fun. Lily says Room One misses you.
Jasmine says I went to the Hannah Montana movioe in the holidays. Robert is off to see Ice Age 3. Molly has just come back from Samoa. She ate ice cream every day. Nathan Has been to Fiji and he went snorkelling.Chantelle's cat brought in a lizard. Liley went to Orana Park.
Hope Keryy Kiwi is haveg a great time. Love Room One.

Unknown said...

Exciting to read what you're up to. We will follow on the map!
Hamish is enjoying his first week. The children of Room 3 have made great improvements in handwriting and reading. They have also got great holiday stories to tell.
Linda Hermiston

Unknown said...

Hi Room 3

Wow it sounds like Mrs Cameron is having a lot of fun in Chile and doing lots of learning! She will have to teach you all some of her Spanish when she gets back. Maybe you could all learn a word or two before she gets back to really surprise her. Does anyone know any Spanish words?

From Lynette Webber (Calebs Mum)